Mumbai is known as the city of the dreams. It is the capital of Maharashtra and is well-known for its street food. The city is dominated by Maharashtrian food and Vada Pav is the most popular street food in Mumbai. The city offers a wide variety of food and it is because of the cosmopolitan culture of the city. People of Mumbai also dubbed as Mumbaikars, are so much into food that they tend to start their own food businesses introducing new creative recipes. For that, they need to register for FSSAI License.
To all the Mumbaikars who want to start and register their food business in Mumbai, look forward to this article.
- 1 What is FSSAI registration?
- 2 Benefits of FSSAI
- 3 Types of FSSAI registration
- 4 Procedure how to get FSSAI License in Mumbai, Maharashtra
- 5 How to check your eligibility for registration, state or central license?
- 6 How to apply for FSSAI online registration
- 7 How to apply for FSSAI Central License
- 8 How to apply for FSSAI State License
- 9 FSSAI License Documents required
- 10 FSSAI office Mumbai, Maharashtra
- 11 Need Help? Please fill below form to Get in touch
What is FSSAI registration?
Each business owner who is either into manufacturing, processing, storing or selling food items has to compulsorily obtain FSSAI registration. Now, the question comes what is FSSAI? FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standard Authority of India which governs the food business in India and is established under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare by the government of India. It has been created to:
- To lay down food safety standards
- To lay down guidelines for accreditation of laboratories for food testing
- To provide scientific and technical advice to the central government
- To collect data of food consumption, contamination, etc.
- To promote food safety and nutrition in India
FSSAI registration or license is issued by FSSAI. The main purpose of FSSAI registration is to ensure that food is of good quality and checks there is no food adulteration. It registers and issues licenses to the food business operators (FBO) in India and lays down ground rules to run food business in India. This 14-digit registration number is mentioned on all the food packages that help in maintaining the quality of food products by FBO.
Benefits of FSSAI
Apart from ensuring food safety and adulteration, there are several other benefits that you can enjoy after getting FSSAI registration. Take a look at the benefits associated with FSSAI Mumbai registration:
Improving customer base
As consumers now prefer hygienic and good quality of food, they check FSSAI mark before buying any food item. If the consumer sees FSSAI logo, he is sure to build trust in you making him your loyal consumer.
Smooth running of business
You may think that getting an FSSAI registration in Mumbai is tedious process that takes long time but obtaining registration is mandatory and with all the consultancies assisting you can get registered easily. Complying with FSSAI norms help you in smooth functioning of your business.
Enhances business image
If you have FSSAI registration, you build trust among consumers and it also gives you edge over your competitors who have not registered it. Thus, it enhances your business image in the market.
Expansion of business
With food license, your reputation is already built and it is easier for you to expand your business in new areas. It also makes easier to get business loans for the expansion of your business from financial institutions.
Types of FSSAI registration
Based on the volume of your business, premises, turnover, location and installed capacity, FSSAI registration is further classified into three categories.
If you are operating a large sized food business, then you are liable for FSSAI Central License. That means if your annual turnover exceeds Rs.20 crore, then you should apply to FSSAI through Central License Form B.
If you are running a medium-sized food business such as hotel or restaurant, then you are accountable for FSSAI State License. It is compulsory to get FSSAI State License Form B, if annual turnover of your business is between 12 to 20 crores.
This registration is mandatory for petty food businesses, i.e., if the annual turnover of the business is less than Rs.12 lakh then your business should be registered with Form A.
Procedure how to get FSSAI License in Mumbai, Maharashtra
How to check your eligibility for registration, state or central license?
- Go to the FSSAI website (http://foodlicensing.fssai.gov.in).
- Click on proceed to apply for license and registration.
- Now, click on check eligibility.
- You will be redirected to a new screen. Enter your serial number, state, district and click on close. If you have more than one premise, click on ‘save and add’. Now, under the action column, click on ‘check eligibility’.
- Repeat the same process for your next premise.
- When done, click on ‘proceed to generate summary of eligible report’ to know your eligibility is for which type of FSSAI registration.
How to apply for FSSAI online registration
- Before starting the procedure, ensure that you have an active telephone number and email id.
- There is a FSSAI login portal, log onto it using your user name and password.
- Select the Form A to apply for FSSAI Registration.
- Fill in all the details of the online application form and make sure you enter the correct spelling of your business.
- When you have filled the application completely, click on the ‘submit’ button.
- Now, you will receive a unique reference number to track the progress of your application.
- Make a DD of the specified amount and also take print out of acknowledgment and online application form.
How to apply for FSSAI Central License
- If you are eligible for central license, go to the website and fill the online application form.
- Click on ‘Save and Next’.
- Fill out all the application forms such as business details, food processing unit and others. Make sure to enter generic names of products and not the brand name.
- Check your details before final submission of the form. Then click on ‘make payment’ to proceed further.
- Once you have made the payment, you will receive an acknowledgment receipt.
How to apply for FSSAI State License
- After you have checked your eligibility for state license, you can fill Form B.
- Fill in all the details about your business, premises, food processing unit.
- Click on ‘save and next’ to move on to the next page of application form.
- Once you have entered all the details, before making the payment ensure that all your details are correct.
- Now, make the payment and you will receive an acknowledgment receipt.
FSSAI License Documents required
- Photo identity of FBO
- Rental agreement or sale deed of the premise
- Partnership deed/ Articles of Association/ Memorandum of Association to verify details of business
- List of all the food items you want to sell
- Food safety management system plan
FSSAI office Mumbai, Maharashtra
There is one FSSAI registration office in Mumbai for western region and 1 laboratory to test food quality. The registration office is situated in Bandra (E), Mumbai and laboratory is at Mumbai Central. You can contact to registration office either through phone number 022-22617672, 26420961 or via email email@example.com or through social media channels.
For getting FSSAI registration hassle-free and without any delay, you can opt for legal solution providers like Afleo. You just need to submit your documents and give all the necessary details to fill in the online application form. Our team of professionals will accomplish the said task within the given time. If you want you can get the breakdown of your price as we have transparent pricing policy. So, now step forward, focus on your business and leave everything else on us!
Customer satisfaction is our motto. If you have any queries, get it touch with us.