Gone are the days when girls were not even given primary education and considered a meek doormat who had to stay indoors and do household chores. Child marriage was a common phenomenon in India, prior to Indian independence. This sight is less rare nowadays, but can still be seen in rural areas of India. The female mortality rate in India is much higher as compared to other countries. It’s about time our country should wake up and make efforts to improve the condition of a girl child in India.
There are many poverty-ridden areas in our country. West Bengal is one such region where the condition of women is still backward. There are many social workers in our country, who take initiatives to launch schemes for the benefit of downtrodden women in India. Kanyashree Prakalpa is one such scheme that was started by the department of women development and social welfare of the Government of West Bengal.
[Women who wish to start their business and work from home can refer to our article on “Highly Trending Home-Based Business Ideas for Women“]
- 1 Benefits of Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme
- 2 Eligibility criteria for the annual scholarship provided by the Kanyashree Prakalpa scheme (K1 level)
- 3 Eligibility criteria for a one-time grant provided by the Kanyashree Prakalpa scheme (K2 level)
- 4 Requirements and Application Procedure for availing an Annual Scholarship(K1 level) from Kanyashree Prakalp Scheme
- 5 Need Help? Please fill below form to Get in touch
Benefits of Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme
1. The main aim of this scheme is to prevent child/early marriage and provide incentives so that primary education of girls in West Bengal is facilitated. Basic schooling is essential for the progress of any girl child. The Kanyashree Prakalpa scheme encourages girls to delay marriage until they turn 18 so by that age they are sufficiently educated and have enough maturity to face the challenges of life.
2. Girls from an economically poor background can get financial help from this scheme so that they do not drop out from school due to lack of money.
3. This initiative helps girl students to continue secondary education or get vocational training like sports so that they become mentally and physically strong to handle the responsibilities that come with their marriage and other problems of adulthood.
4. There are two types of scholarship grants provided by this scheme. One is an annual scholarship (K1), in which an annual amount of Rs. 1000 is provided every year. Another one is a one-time grant (K2), in which an amount of Rs. 25,000 is provided just once.
Eligibility criteria for the annual scholarship provided by the Kanyashree Prakalpa scheme (K1 level)
1. The girl should be between age 13 and 17 years;
2. She should be unmarried;
3. Students studying in class 8-12 in Government recognized regular school or any other equivalent school or studying technical or vocational courses can apply for this level of scholarship;
4. Students whose family income is less than or equal to Rs. 1,20,000 annually can apply for this scholarship;
5. If in the case where the girl is physically handicapped (40% disability) or both her parents are deceased, the family income condition may not be applied for granting scholarship. Also in case, the girl has already taken advantage of the scholarship benefits elsewhere, the family income condition is not applicable.
Eligibility criteria for a one-time grant provided by the Kanyashree Prakalpa scheme (K2 level)
1. An adult girl (between 18 and 19) can apply for this scholarship;
2. The girl was not married till she turned 18;
3. The girl should be studying and regularly attending a school of higher education;
4. The family income should be less than or equal to Rs. 1,20,000 annually, except for physically handicapped girls (40% disability) and those whose parents are no longer living or an inmate of J.J. Home.
Requirements and Application Procedure for availing an Annual Scholarship(K1 level) from Kanyashree Prakalp Scheme
Age proof (copy of birth certificate), a declaration statement showing status as “unmarried”, income statement, photocopy of bank passbook, a copy of certificate of disability (in case of handicapped girls), and certificate of enrollment and regular attendance by the head of an institution of study or vocational training. Before applying for the scholarship, the girl should have a bank account in her name.
1. Firstly, the girl should collect the application form from the respective educational institution and J.J. homes (for its inmates). You can fill and submit the K1 and K2 application forms online too.
2. The girl should fill her own personal details, home address, and the address of the educational institution in the form.
3. The form should be signed both by the girl and the parents and submitted to the respective institution along with the required documents.
4. The head of the department needs to verify the details filled on the form and then put an official stamp of approval on it.
5. The girl will be given an acknowledgment slip and the application number, which she needs to preserve for checking the status of the application later.
6. Post submission of the application form, all the details will be uploaded on the website of Kanyashree.
You need to check the status of the application procedure regularly from the Kanyashree website. Once it is approved, the banking partner will help the applicant in opening a bank account. The account can be opened in a Scheduled bank according to the Second Schedule of Reserve Bank of India Act. The scholarship amount is deposited in the account of the girl, once it is granted. If you want to renew the annual scholarship, you need to follow the same procedure and provide all the documents, except for the income statement.
On 28th July 2017, the Honourable Chief Minister of West Bengal Mamta Bannerjee announced the third level (K3) of Kanyashree scholarship for girl students to encourage them to pursue higher studies.
In order to be eligible for the K3 level scholarship, first, you have to be registered for the K2 level scholarship. Moreover, you have to pass an undergraduate degree with at least 45% marks and take admission in a postgraduate course in any university. The scholarship amount for science students is Rs. 2500 per month, and for art students, it is Rs. 2000 per month.
The Kanyashree Prakalpa is such an amazing scheme for education and empowerment of the girl child. The wonderful work of public service done in West Bengal through the Kanyashree scheme was duly awarded by the United Nations. The Kanyashree is a laudable example of social work done by the Government of West Bengal to improve the status of the girl child in order to make them self-sufficient and on par with men. So, you too should get motivated to uplift the girl child. Do not accord them a subordinate status. They are equal to men!
If you wish to know more about such schemes started by the Indian Government feel free to approach us by filling the form given below.